Location: Remote Canada (Current team is in Calgary and Edmonton)
Are you a QA champion? Do you think of quality as an intentional feature? Are you up for helping us guard the trust that our customers are putting in us? Join our QA Team.
Reporting directly to the CTO, this new role will work as a member of the product team - involved in discussions on specs and designs, discussing the testing developers are doing, and creating tests to help make every build and deployment more bulletproof.
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience bringing in and setting up QA platforms that align with the team's needs and a startup's budget
- Leadership and Hands on experience, able to share best practices
- Able to write test plans and scripts
- Adept at working in a startup environment
Sparrow’s a real silicon-valley funded product company based in Alberta. We’re looking for some amazing an awesome data developer to join our product team and help us take our platform to the next level. If you smile when someone brings up structured and unstructured data, finding insights in a heap of information, Microsoft Data Factory or Synapse, or are eager to lay a foundation to bring in, you’re probably the person we’re looking for.
Every day, Sparrow helps our customers get the right information to the right employees across many distribution channels. Connected and informed employees are more productive, more engaged and happier. We believe everyone should feel that way.
At Sparrow, we are a passionate tribe with interests that range from anime to Star Trek to Dungeons and Dragons to food, good code, photography, reading… hmm, we may be a bit nerdy, but we don’t apologize for it. Our culture is centered around a few key ideas: health & family first, no blame – we’re one team – so how can we help and being the mentors, we wish we’d had earlier in our careers.
The type of people we’re looking for are the type who enjoy owning things, who love learning from others and sharing what they know, and who are highly adaptable. Being a small start-up, there’s lots of opportunity to grow and try things out.
Your Cover Letter
Please submit a cover letter and let us know about you, what you enjoy and are passionate about. We'd like a glimpse into who you are and what you're after.
- Design, build, test and deploy effective test automation solutions for our product
- Improve existing test automation infrastructure, architecture and framework setup focussed on continuous testing/delivery
- Write test plans for new features which outline potential critical defects and include automation and manual test considerations
- Involvement in feature spec’s to help identify success criteria and tests
- Championing testing and best practices for the development team (quality is everyone’s responsibility)
- Monitor automation coverage, minimum escaped defects, hot patch thresholds, customer satisfaction and code quality
- Stay on top of the latest technologies and tools and help implement them
- Experience with using PostMan for endpoint testing
- Experience with Selenium, or similar, for automated testing
- Experience with integrating tests into Azure DevOps builds
- Experience with querying SQL and Non-SQL (Cosmos ideally) to validate data
- At least 5+ years experience in a QA Engineer role
- Strong knowledge of QA methodology (acceptance tests, performance test, etc) and tools
- Experience with analyzing both functional and non-functional requirements
- Familiarity with the tools that agile development and QA teams use for managing their work (Azure DevOps or similar tools)
- Ability to work closely with cross functional teams at all levels of the organization
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for products and start-ups
- A Quality-centric Mindset
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to bring some order to some chaos
- Strong team skills
Ideally, you have a computer science or software engineering or related degree, but we know degrees don’t mean everything. Any relevant certifications and training courses, are things we want to know about.